Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Failure to embrace my legacy

I swung by Manolo this morning, catching up on about four weeks on snarky shoe commentary. I stopped reading Manolo regularly a while ago when he drifted into fashion television review because 1) I don't have cable and 2) I'm fat and ugly, and therefore fashion does not apply to me.

Apparently while I was out, the topic of white shoes was resurrected. I'm fascinated by the fact that this issue comes up for review EVERY GODDAMN YEAR as if it were a teacher's contract with the school system.

Manolo posted some salient, trendy thoughts on the issue, which if you really care about you can go read your own damn self. But what has brought the fear of God to me is the ancient pop culture flotsam he unearthed to illustrate a post.

Here. I'm new to this YouTube phenom, but hopefully you can watch it through this link.



Still with me? Okay, see that? Those are the formative media images of my childhood. Videos like this are basically what shaped my worldview at age 8. I haven't watched MTV for damn near 10 years and I didn't watch it much before then. But so far as I knew back then, adulthood meant wearing tight leather, emoting into a camera lens very close to your face, and playing lots of air guitar.

This -- THIS -- is why I am so screwed up. I have been fighting this cultural iconography for damn near 20 years. Here, watch it again.



This is so wrong on so many levels. A warehouse by the dock? Keyboards glued to walls? Some angry woman stomping through the set, while men with mustaches penned her in and lipsynched in her face? Who the hell wrote the script for this?

Y'all, the 1980's were hell. Pure and simple hell. That's why everyone was doing so much cocaine. They were trying desperately to numb the pain.


3 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger Britney, yo said...

Yup--thems was the days. Man, kids today just don't know HOW to make a cool music video.

Take sex, mix with violence, stir in some objectification of women, and you've got yourself a FINE piece of pop culture after which an entire generation will base their perceptions of self and society.

I am SO glad the 80's are apparently coming back into style. Don't kill the messenger!

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

White shoes be damned. The mullets did me in.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Oregano, yo said...

As if further evidence is needed of the rampant drug use and bad taste in the '80s, Steve Perry was a sex symbol.

That said, I saw Journey 3 times in concert in those days. Loved them then, love them now. Whatevs.

(PS. There was some hot air-piano playing exhibited in that video, y'all. Rawk on!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home